Long story short, while surfing the Internet, I found something that took me to a competition on dVerse, a website for poets. It intrigued me. The competition requires that I write a bit of micro fiction of 144 words or less including this line from a poem: “Reading what I have just written, I now believe.”
I have been mulling over a science fiction story/novella about someone inadvertently discovering a US government program covertly monitoring UFO’s in the solar system, though it denies their existence. There will probably even be a covert war. X-Files-ish I admit, but not derivative (as I perceive “derivative”). I intend to do something quite different. Therefore, I decided to use the challenge to draft out the basic idea for my story. Below is the result. I will probably use this in the opening for the story.
Let me know what you think.
- Crop circles first appear 1678; increasing since 1970’s.
- UFO sightings increase since 1947 (Roswell).
- Project Bluebook 1952-1970.
- Venus missions commence 1961.
- Mars missions commence 1962.
- Arecibo observatory established 1963.
- Moon landings 1969-1972
- Voyager scouts planets, “explores” deep space 1977.
- Comet missions commence 1978.
- Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence Institute (SETI) incorporated 1984.
- Asteroid missions 1989
- ʻOumuamua sighted 2017.
Covert “black programs” operate in background.
Reports indicating UFO presence on Earth:
- 99% discredited.
- 1% not discredited, government disparages.
- Some sources of 1% reliable.
Theory: to monitor alien presence, install tracking stations as far out as possible on planets, asteroids, comets, etc. Historically, US military strategy supports this.
Theoretical cover: exploration for science, but great expense, little obvious reward.
“Reading what I have just written, I now believe.”
Visti dVerse at (https://dversepoets.com).