I will consider articles, short stories, and poems for publication on Slattery’s Magazine for Writers. Please feel free to submit at any time. I will try to post your work as soon as I can.
I am looking for short, flash, or micro fiction that demonstrates the art of writing, whether it be prose, poetry, one-act plays, or any other form of literature of any genre. I want to showcase literature in all its subtlety, beauty, intelligence, art, horror, terror, suspense, and gruesome detail. I also want to push its limits with the challenge of staying under 2,500 words while making an intellectual and emotional connection with the reader. Do your best, most imaginative, most professional work.
I am also looking for non-fiction articles on the art of writing. Please keep these to under 2,500 words as well. All rights will remain with the author. If you would like to submit an article or book/movie review on the art of writing horror fiction or just on the art of writing, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Everything must be submitted by e-mail either in the body of the e-mail or a Word document (.doc or .docx). There is no pay for any submission at this time (maybe after I win the Pulitzer or Nobel, but probably not before then).
In addition, I am taking announcements about works of literature of any genre. If you are an author with a book-signing coming up or you will be giving a public talk somewhere or you have a book (or film) with a definite release date, announce it here. If you have anything related to a creative work of literature that you would like to publicize, draft an announcement and send it in. I reserve all editorial rights however to make any needed changes for clarity, etc, and to ask questions if the announcement isn’t clear on some point. There will be no charge for this, at least initially, but I do reserve the right to charge fees later, if a lot of announcements start to flood my inbox.
However, note that I will not do advertising for any product. I want to publicize creative works and to help authors, poets, film makers, and others jump start their careers. I am not a merchant. As to where the line is between advertising a product and publicizing a work, that will be my subjective decision. So if you want to sell pens, notebooks, software, or any other concrete product, try Amazon.com.
Fiction will probably be published on Fridays and articles on other nights as I feel appropriate.
You may submit stories and articles in languages besides English, but it must be in one of the languages in which I have at least some minimal ability. These are primarily German and Spanish, though I can read French to a degree. I need practice in all three. Shorter articles will fare well here as I do not want to spend all day with a dictionary and grammar ensuring that the writing is up to par. Odds of these being accepted are sort of low, but if I can read them easily enough, I will consider them.
I reserve the right to change my mind as I develop this site.
Specifically, in terms of creative works, I am seeking:
- Articles under 2,500 words on the art of writing (fiction of any length, poetry, screenplays, etc.) or on writing in general Articles on foreign literature are encouraged.
- Book and movie reviews, the more recently published or distributed the better.
- I will consider reviews of articles on literature in other countries. These must also be under 2,500 words.
- Translations of articles, stories, or poems from French, German, or Spanish are considered, but the original article/story/poem and its translation must not exceed 2,500 words.
- Poetry (under 32 lines) or articles on poetry.
- Flash fiction (i.e. under 1,000 words).
- Be professional.
- Use standard manuscript format. The easier it is for me to simply copy and paste into WordPress, the more likely you are to be published.
- With submissions include your website, twitter handle, or any other social media identification you like. A short bio of 100 words or less (including a list of previous publications) is nice, but not required. Knowing your publication history won’t influence whether or not you are accepted, but it might be nice for the readership to know. If you don’t want to include any social media contact info, don’t include it. Pseudonyms are fine, but please state them as the byline and include your actual name and contact info in the top left of the first page of the submission per standard manuscript format.
- In the subject line of your e-mail state whether this is an article or review or poetry of fiction submission, your name, and the work’s title. For example: Article by Phil Slattery “Poe’s Raven: an Analysis”
- No hardcopy submissions. Everything must be submitted by e-mail either in the body of the e-mail or attached as a Word document (.doc or .docx).
- I would like to reach as large an audience as possible, so please keep profanity to an absolute minimum.
- I will try to respond to submissions as quickly as possible, but please allow at least a couple of weeks before querying about your article/story.
- There is no pay other than the honor of being published on this website.
- I am not taking multiple submissions or simultaneous submissions. Once you have submitted one article/story, please wait about a week before submitting another.
- You may submit on piece of artwork or a photo to accompany your article/story. I will edit it (mainly re-sizing)
as needed to fit the space available. I will not publish any form of what I deem pornography or in bad taste. If you do not submit artwork or a photo, I may select something appropriate. JPEGs, TIFs and other formats accepted by WordPress are okay, but keep the number of bytes to a minimum. I have only a limited amount of space available.
- Artwork and photos may be submitted on their own and you must own the copyright to them or they may be from the public domain (please state so if they are). There is no pay for these either. If I do not use these right away, I may keep them until a use arises, but please let me know if this is okay. If you no longer wish me to use them, please let me know as soon as possible.
- Do not send advertising (no matter how cleverly veiled it is). It won’t be published.
- Gratuitous sex, extreme violence, violence to children or animals, rape, excessive profanity, and anything else that offends my personal sensibilities will not be published. Anything that seems to reflect an actual crime (past, present, or future) will be immediately turned over to the proper authorities.
- If I like your submission, I will publish it as soon as possible. This will depend on the backlog of submissions and other factors. Don’t ask for a time-frame.
- Reprints are okay, but you must tell me when and where the article/story/poem was first published.
- I do not want fan fiction.
- Always re-check the guidelines before submitting. I may change them at any moment without prior notice.
I will update these guidelines as time allows and events warrant. This page was last updated on June 4, 2019. Please contact me via email@example.com with any questions. Thoughts? Comments?